A year to rememberPosted: 12/26/2013 | |
As is typical each December, I look back on the year that has just passed. This was one of the best years—if not the best year—of my life. I’m so thankful for the opportunities that came my way, as well as for your love and support. I look forward to what 2014 will bring for me and redshoes26.
Here’s a quick recap of 2013:
- I participated in 29 art and craft shows this year. In addition to many in the Twin Cities—No Coast Craft-O-Rama, Craftstravaganza and Craft’za, Stone Arch Bridge Festival, Saint Paul Art Crawl—I also traveled to several in other states. I went to Texas twice, did two events in California, and also showed my work in New York, Ohio, North Dakota, Illinois, and Rhode Island.
- My list of retail shops grew to 20. Newly added in 2013 are Pharmacie, Roe Wolfe, the Minneapolis Club, the Weisman Art Museum’s WAM Shop, and the Mill City Museum Shop, all in Minneapolis. Outside of Minnesota, there’s The Foundrie in Chesterfield, MO; Sparrow Collective in Milwaukee, WI; Collector in Berkeley, CA; and Third Street Gallery in Grand Forks, ND.
- Thanks to the shows I did in the different states, my State Icon collection expanded immensely. I went from having about 75 different drawings at the beginning of the year to ending with 168. And I have plans to add lots, lots more in 2014!
- So many custom State Icon orders came in this year. It truly warms my heart to know that people have chosen me to draw things that are important and meaningful to them.
- I completed several logos: one for an anti-bullying organization, Let’s All Be Friends, another for internal communications at Best Buy, and one for my dad’s new business, On The Level Woodworking.
- I wrote three stories for Viking Magazine, a Sons of Norway publication.
- As Art Director, I designed all of the printed materials and ads for MNfashion again this year, including for our twice-yearly fashion events, The Shows. Prince even showed up for one night of The Shows this spring, and it’s exciting to think that he saw my work! MNfashion also brought back the rock/fashion show Voltage this year, and I helped our crew with that event as well.
- I photographed a wedding in Sandstone, MN, that was really fun.
- I was a hair model again, this time for Kathryn Hornick of Root Salons. We participated in Wella Professionals’ TrendVision 2013 event at the Walker Art Center.
- I joined Instagram! You can follow me there at redshoes26cj (you can also check in with me on Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, and via my monthly email, redshoes news).